- Bayou water conveyance capacity: Determine the bayou water conveyance capacity for current state of the topographic parameters and its watershed. District to interface with Harris County Flood Control District for related data for capacity evaluation.
- Backslope drainpipe outfalls: Tabulate the repair status of all the backslope drainpipe outfalls. Coordinate with trail projects team to determine the priority of addressing the repair of backslope drainpipe outfalls. Complete repairs of all outfalls as needed.
- Desilting and bayou bank slop restoration project: Proceed with further phases of the bayou desilting and slope restoration project.
- MS4 Issue: Ongoing working on MS4 issue with TCEQ.
About West Keegans Bayou IDThis author has not yet filled in any details.
So far West Keegans Bayou ID has created 7 blog entries.
First phase of this item requires initial consultation with WKBID legal consultant JP LLP attorney team and with Fort Bend County Drainage District Chief Engineer. District engineering consultant Kavi Consulting, Inc to assist in this task.
Producing of the sketches, individuals and overlay maps of District jurisdiction (DJ) of bayou (WKBID and Fort Bend County properties), part of bayou from DJ to Fort Bend County line, and maps of all MUDs which drains into the bayou. This presentation is very important for District to pursue issues with Fort Bend County drainage department and with MUDs. After that we will have District’s attorney involved with the issue to discuss possible annexation of certain areas to District Jurisdiction. These maps can be simple outlines to start with to evaluate the situation. Detailed maps, if needed, will be requested later. It has been sometimes for this issue and directors are eager to see progress on this item.
- 1. (a) The trail continuity project consisting of four underpasses, namely, at State Highway 6, Bissonnet St, Rocky Valley Dr and Addicks-Clodine Rd is the urgent project to be executed. This project cannot be executed without the involvement of Fort Bend County Precinct 4 Commissioner.
- 1. (b) Construction of four foot bridges, namely, at Williwaw Dr, Keegans Wood Dr, and two footbridges near Sugarland Howell Rd area for transition of trail from northside to southside underpasses.
- 1. (c) Trail on southwest side of bayou bank from State Highway 6 to Rocky Valley Dr after completion of project 1 (a).
- 1. (d) Trail on northeast side of bayou bank from State Highway 6 to Rocky Valley Dr after completion of project 1 (a).
- 2. Four trail connectors to main trail, namely to Brentford Dr, to Bissonnet St, to Emery Hill Dr and to Chalford Dr are under design.
- 3. CenterPoint Energy area near Sugarland-Howell Rd Parking lot and jogging trail.
- 4. Trail on north bank of the bayou from Williwaw Dr to Addick Clodine Rd.
- 5. Trail on north bank of the bayou from Gains Rd to westward existing trail.
- 6. Trail on north bank of the bayou from Gains Rd to eastward Rocky Valley Dr.
- 7. Trails on north and south side of bayou ponds from Chancellorsville Ln to Clodine Rd after Clodine Rd gets improved by Fort Bend County.
- 8. Trails on north and south side of the bayou ponds and banks from Clodine Rd to westward end of the bayou after Clodine Rd gets improved by Fort Bend County.
- 9. Development of park at Sugarland Howell Rd area.
- 10. Development of park at Hodges Bend Dr area (April Falls Trail).
- 11. Planting of trees at Sugarland Howell Rd,
- 12. Planting of trees along south bank of the bayou from Sugarland Howell Rd to westward towards Emery Hill Dr.
- 13. Planting of trees along April Falls Trail and in general vicinity of Hodges Bend Dr and Williwaw Dr area open places,
- 14. Planting of trees in any other open area of WKBID jurisdiction.
- 15. Trail on south bank of the bayou from Sugarland Howell Rd to Keegans Wood Dr after the completion of footbridge on bayou at Keegans Wood Dr.
Coordination With Fort Bend County Precinct 4 Commissioner to Improve Roads and Trail Infrastructure Within WKBID Jurisdiction
This coordination is required for County to improve certain roads with trails on both sides and build underpasses and footbridges on the bayou for trail continuity.
Coordination With Harris County Commissioner to Improve Roads and Trail Infrastructure within WKBID Jurisdiction
Message sent on Harris County website for Infrastructure for November 2022 bond proposition. District shall pursue these projects with Harris County Precinct 3 Commissioner.
On September 22, 2022
- 1. Six feet wide sidewalks on Howell-Sugarland Rd from Bissonnet St to Renn Rd to match the road and sidewalks as in south side of this road in Fort Bend County, to provide pedestrian and cyclist access to Sand Canyon Park.
- 2. Improve Renn Rd with sidewalks and underground storm water drains from Howell-Sugarland Rd to Synott Rd. It is a developed area and people wish to connect to WKBID trail system.
- 3. Improve Old Richmond Rd with sidewalks and underground storm water drains from Eldridge Parkway to Synott Rd.
- 4. Provide sidewalks on both sides of Bissonnet St from county line to Synott Rd,
- 5. Improve Synott Rd with sidewalks and underground storm water drains to Fort Bend County line.
Community servant and activist Amarjit Verma pursued diligently with County Commissioner Grady Prestage’s office to understand our neighborhoods and West Keegan Bayou Improvement District need to improve our areas infrastructure. As a result of his work, the County included Sugarland-Howell Road improvements in the Fort Bend County 2013 Mobility Projects. The project included adding 3,400 linear feet of road running between Bissonnet St and Old Richmond Road, trail underpass at the bayou bridge and included 6 feet wide trail worthy sidewalks on both sides of this road, completed in February 2019, and making it accessible to West Keegans Bayou Improvement District Hike and Bike trail system by building trail connections at Jehovah’s Witnesses Church on south side and Wastewater treatment plant on north side, this project was completed in February 2022.
Reference the letter below from HCFCD:
From: Harris County Flood Control District
To: Amarjit Verma
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 02:07:35 PM CDT
Subject: Construction Advisory: Keegans Bayou Maintenance Project
Construction Advisory: Keegans Bayou Maintenance Project
Project ID: D118-00-00-X009
In an effort to keep you informed about the Harris County Flood Control District’s continuing improvements in the Brays Bayou watershed, we want to notify you of an upcoming project in your area.
In fall 2022, the Flood Control District will begin construction of a maintenance project along an approximate 2-mile stretch of Keegans Bayou from Kirkwood Drive to US 59. The project will address the channel conveyance capacity issues and restore the channel back to its original design capacity. The project is expected to remove approximately 50,000 cubic yards of sediment from the channel.
The contractor will use heavy construction equipment such as dump trucks, excavators and bulldozers. Motorists are urged to be alert to truck traffic when passing near construction access points and along truck routes. For safety reasons, hike and bike trail closures are also expected along Keegans Bayou from Kirkwood Drive to US 59 for the duration of the project.
The Flood Control District appreciates your patience through the duration of this project. More information about the Flood Control District’s maintenance projects can be found at hcfcd.org/maintenance. Should you have any questions or comments, please visit hcfcd.org/contact-us.
Keegans Bayou Maintenance Project
Project ID#: D118-00-00-X009
Contractor: LECON, Inc.
Contract Amount: Approximately $7.2 million
Construction Start: Fall 2022
Construction Contract Duration: 515 calendar days